Monday, February 05, 2007

Round up part 3 - Game 17 to 21

Game 17 - FFC 2 Middlesbrough 1
Monday night game on Sky, two early goals saw them off and despite a 2nd half strike from Viduka we held on for a very important 3 points.

Game 18 - FFC 0 West Ham United 0
Prior to this game I realised I was yet to see a Fulham win in my four games thus far. With the Hammers struggling I felt we had to be able to change that situation. A really enjoyable game with lots of effort from both sides. End to end football with plenty to shout about. Defensively solid, Christanval in particular looks a class act and Niemi made some great saves. Routledge really started to look the part in midfield, and was causing all sorts of problems to the West Ham defence, Radz worked really hard as well. My biggest disappointment was HH’s inability to find himself on the end of McBride’s flick ons. Brian wins everything in the air and I can’t understand why we don’t make more out of this. Maybe they are too similar in their style, but all round it didn’t seem to be Heidar’s day. A late surge from the Hammers was effectively ended when Routledge broke through only to be taken out by Konchesky who was red carded. In the car on the way home as I reflected on seeing my first points of the season I realised I was yet to see a Fulham goal either … hmmm.

Game 19 - Charlton 2 FFC 2
Xmas all over when it seemed like it had just begun and I’m back to BBC internet updates to keep track of this game. 2-1 down with time running out and my F5 key taking a pounding, I couldn’t take it any longer and switch to radio 5. Radzinski has given away a free kick … no it seems the linesman has given it Fulham’s way … I’m not sure how he’s come to that decision … Michael Brown takes it quickly … it’s in the box … QUEUDRUE! … it’s there! … FULHAM EQUALISE IN THE DYING SECONDS!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Game 20 - Chelsea 2 FFC 2
Same as Charlton, keeping one eye on t’internet, pleased to see Volzy score and amazed to hear it’s the 15000th Premiership goal, unsurprised to see the Filth draw level through a Lumpard deflected shot and then take the lead in the 2nd half. As the game draws to a close I have to stick the radio on and it works again! Third time this season – I LOVE RADIO 5! Another great effort from the team and a Bocanegra header earns us a fantastic point at the Dog Track.

Game 21 - FFC 0 Watford 0
So New Years day and this is crunch time. Thanks to the draw with West Ham I have now seen us "not lose", all I need is to see a goal. If we can’t score against Watford then I am going to seriously think about weather I attend again. To be fair we did everything but score, I did at least get to celebrate two goals as Heidar twice puts the ball in the back of the net only for both goals to be ruled out as offside. From my spot in the Hammy End both goals looked fine, but we weren’t in a position to disagree. Match of the Day confirms that the first decision was correct but the second was onside. We hammered Watford in the 1st half and they were without doubt the worst team I’d seen so far this season, however, they got themselves organised and 2nd half made it much harder for us. Particular mention must go to on loan ‘keeper Ben Foster who was immense, and at times was like an extra defender – a future England number 1? The game was completely overshadowed though by the injury to Antti Niemi. Boca failed to deal with a high ball and as Niemi came to clear he got caught up on Boca and Watford’s giant striker Henderson and came crashing down on his head. It looked horrible and I was very concerned for his health. Antti hadn’t been able to break his fall with his hands as he’d ended up trying to head the ball as he was on the edge of his area. Thankfully he seems to be on the mend (though not yet fit enough to play football, but that must be the least of his concerns).

One final mention to Maurice Cook who died prior to the game, a true Fulham great who scored 89 goals in 221 appearances during his seven years at Fulham.
Maurice Cook 1931 – 2006 R.I.P.

Self Imposed Ban
So having failed to see Fulham score for six consecutive matches I had to work out when I had last seen us hit the net. It was the last match I attended last season against Wigan a 1-0 win with out goal scored by Steed Malbranque. This means I have currently watched 585 minutes of football without a Fulham goal. I am horribly superstitious when it comes to Fulham so I have therefore decided to stop going until Fulham have enough points to guarantee safety. My next match was not due to be until February against Newcastle and as this clashes with a trip away with some mates it’s one I don’t mind missing, which leaves Fulham until the Blackburn game on April 21st to sort themselves out.

No comments: